Mini seashell pastry

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I first saw the scrumptious sfogliatella over at my friend Gattina´s blog. She did such an incredible job that I was totally speechless. The pastry looked beautiful and was described as having crunchy crust with creamy filling. Everything about it was irresistible and I knew I just had to try it one day.

And I finally made and tried it. It was a time-consuming job, but these pastries worth every single moment spent. The thin pastry layers were absolutely crunchy, and the filling was beautifully creamy and fragrant.

Sfogliatella was originated from 16th century in Naples. According to this website, although its English name is Lobster Tail, the literal translation should be “unfold that leaf”. But with my novice hands, these pastries shape turn out quite differently. Perhaps it is because I decided to make the mini version to avoid overeating? Or perhaps the picture I had in mind when shaping these was of seashell shape rather than lobster tail? Anyway, I have decided to call mine seashell, which is more suitable to the final products that I got…

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The recipe I followed is from Martha Stewart´s Baking Handbook, a new addition to my fast growing cookbook collection. I halved the recipe and made mini versions of the pastries so I could eat two or three at once without feeling too much guilt. My mini pastries were about 1/3 to 1/2 of the size shown in the book or on Gattina´s blog…

As Gattina described, you need to roll the dough very thin using a pasta machine. For the filling, fresh ricotta and other ingredients are required. I have googled this recipe, which was quite similar to Martha´s. Remember rolling the dough is so much easier with a pasta machine….

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

18 Responses to Mini seashell pastry

1. Precious Moments says:

these sounded delicious. i was also trying to get some ricotta cheese in CS but apparently this is not easily avail. wondering why.

2. Cindy says:

So cute! :-)

3. Gattina says:

Your seashell pastry so well-made and beautiful! Loster tail is probably an easy name made up by non-Italian speakers in my town =). You know, I definitely can’t sound Sfogilatella right. My Italian baker also makes mini sfogliatella, very much like what you did, great job!

4. Hedgehog says:

they look so gorgeous but I don’t think I’ll be able to make such complicated things. You know, I have a pasta machine that’s gathering dust in the cupboard :D maybe I’ll drag it out one day and use it for to make these things

5. Asha says:

Very nice!! I don’t have Pasta machine but got two hands!;D

6. Sharmi says:

Dear Anh, The Pastry looks so good. I wish I could taste them. I simply love the way to take pics. can I ask what camera do you have? the layered flaky pics makes my mouth water.

7. Cheryl says:

You all astound me with your talent. These are just gorgeous, intricate, delicate, everything. I love learning so much from you all.

8. myriam says:

the bakery around the corner sells them. i find it so hard to resist everytime i walk past. i will give it a try now myself (isnt the martha baking-book just wonderful?). good job!

9. Lakshmiammal says:

Hey Anh,

10. Patricia Scarpin says:

Anh, these are so delicate and beautiful!

11. Doug says:

look beautiful, very unusual too. If ever I was served something like this – my gf is not a big cook – I would be very impressed.

12. Brilynn says:

Wow! YOu have more patience than I’ll ever have, these look amazing!

13. Ellie says:

Oooh, nice work! They look delightfully flaky and crunchy!

14. Amy says:

Oh my goodness, these look amazing! I have a soft spot for pastries. :P All the more reason for me to get a pasta machine. I’m still trying to convince my boyfriend I *need* one. Oh I wish I could have a bite right now. :D

Edith, hope you can find some good ricotta one day!
    Oh, I always have a pasta machine but hardly use it.

16. Eva says:

Beautiful work! Last year, I visited Melbourne for 3-4 days and had exactly such pastry in an Italian cafe called Brunetti. Their stuff was so addictive, I ended up going there every single day which of course was not enough to sample everything…;-)

Eva, I went to Brunetti occasionally too. Thanks God I dun live near ther cafe otherwise I won’t be able to stop. ;)

18. Truffle says:

What a gorgeous pastry! Such beautiful photos and sounds delicious :)