Chè hai màu – Vietnamese two-color drinks

For Delicious Vietnam #12

Vietnamese dessert - chè

I have been busy, busy, busy… No time for myself, no time for a decent meal. It’s been insane. I’m travelling out this week, so the recap of Delicious Vietnam #12 might be a bit late. But it’s coming, I promise!

Meanwhile, let’s talk about this lovely dessert – Chè hai màu – two-color drinks. This is a kind of popular Vietnamese desserts, which are very versatile. The ingredients can vary from cooked mung bean, various kinds of tapioca pearls to jellies etc. All are served with sweetened coconut milk, and some crushed ice in summer. I love the look of this dessert. It is surely colorful, cheerful and can be an instant ‘pick me up’. In fact the name of the drinks varies depending on the number of colors of the ingredients – three, and even seven.

_MG_2541

Now I didn’t make this dessert from scratch. I simply picked up the two boxes of ingredients from a Vietnamese grocery. The red one, called hạt lựu, is made from water chesnut, sweetened and coated with tapioca starch. The texture is crunchy, and lovely. The green one, called bánh lọt, is cooked mixture of rice flours. It’s almost like pasta, and perhaps some of you would know it by the name chendol. These are flavoured with pandan paste.(Making both of these from scratch is not that hard, but I would only bother to do it after having zillions of sleeps, a few holidays, and one or two drama/movie marathons!)

Vietnamese dessert - chè

To eat, prepare the coconut milk sauce by heating coconut milk, and add enough dark brown sugar to your liking. Cool down, and serve with enough hạt lựu and bánh lọt. Add ice if you wish.

I have kept things really simple for this post. Minimal (almost none) styling or set up. I found the two glasses from my MIL’s shed last week. And the flowers? They are blooming in my garden right now even though summer has passed away…

Vietnamese dessert - chè

28 Responses to Chè hai màu – Vietnamese two-color drinks

1. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed says:

Lovely. My man adores these drinks. Now I see I could make them at home?! A nice project perhaps :)

2. Lick My Spoon says:

Nice post Ang. Does food colorin five it the bright red color? Very simple dessert to prepare at a time when you have a gazillion things to do.

3. Kayla says:

This is so so pretty. I love the bright colour contrast. Somehow, this reminds me of Christmas:)

4. La Table De Nana says:

So unusual and pretty to me..:) The lovely planter is pretty too :)

5. Phuoc'n Delicious says:

I was trying to think of what the milk was because for some reason I thought it was coffee (because of the colour). I love the simplicity of coconut milk and bánh l

6. chocolatesuze says:

beautiful! love all the colours!

7. Indonesia Eats says:

Ohh surely I like this! I call it es cendol. Pretty pics, Anh!

Nice, we would love this! I know how to make the red one too, I remember it as a Thai dessert.

9. john@heneedsfood says:

Yummo! As much as I love these crazy drinks I'd never think to make them at home

Sounds really exotic to me! all the ingredients other the coconut milk sounds so intriguing and I wish I could taste one of these to see how all of them come together in one cup. So very pretty.

11. Shirley @ Kokken69 says:

This is like the Chendol dessert that we like in Singapore and Malaysia!

Beautiful! So much better than the coloured drinks I had as a kid, which were pretty much just creaming soda "Shirley Temples" 😛

13. Monet says:

What a fun drink. I just love the bright colors. Thank you for infusing your posts with your kind spirit, your thoughtful words, and your beautiful photographs. Even in the midst of sadness, I find such solace visiting the blogs that I've grown to love this past year. I hope you have a wonderful start to your week, my friend. A big hug from Austin!

14. OohLookBel says:

I love the soft light in these photos, it really makes the colourful drinks stand out.

how lovely – flowers in the garden, pretty colours, found objects, all you need now is lots of sleep and movies – hope you get a break over easter!

Phew! Hope things calm down a little soon. We all feel that way sometimes. This drink looks quite similar to the Malaysian ais kacang :) I know I'd love it. And it looks so festive in red and green.

Great to catch up today. I know how it is like to be busy and under the pump. :)

Yes yes! Chendol!

19. the dainty baker says:

awww these bring back awesome childhood memories!! i like the ones where you add the red bean …think thats called 3 coloured drink? (my viet is TERRIBLE! lol)

20. Tanvi@Sinfully Spicy says:

So pretty.I m amazed by how easy such a good looking dessert can be.Anything with coconut-I m in!

21. Jo says:

Very pretty and reminds of our own chendol. It has the same green "noodles" together with azuki beans. Absolutely delicious!

22. Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! says:

Life is so hectic, sometimes we need to take some time out for ourself, can't wait until Easter break! I like 'che ba mau' it just sounds right and rolls of the tongue better 😉 Simple but still stunning Anh! =)

23. Susan says:

Chendol is on my list of "exotic" desserts, and a very funky (by Western standards) way with legumes. Hardest part for me is finding fresh pandan leaves. Someday.

24. Kris Ngoei says:

This is like "lok chong" in Thai or "cendol" in Indonesia… but it is definitely more colorful and alluring especially with the addition of red color.

25. tinytearoom says:

I love Vietnamese desserts. They are healthy and are all colours of the rainbow. simply gorgeous.

26. Sheena says:

I love the colour of these drinks, they sound so simple and refreshing!

27. LinsFood says:

Oh, I love this! I used to have this all the time, growing up in Singapore! Lin xx

28. Hello Anhsfoodblog,
    Thanks for that, A good layout can break or make your website. A nice and clean layout can make navigation easy and can attract users to your site. It can also encourage your online visitors to stay longer on your site. Just like a newspaper or magazine, a website should also have a good layout.
    Great Job!