Spaghetti with fresh artichokes and toasted breadcrumb

Weekend Herb Blogging

Spaghetti with braised artichoke, toasted breadcrumbs

Last week I got a chance to catch up with my uni friends after a few years. It was sort of funny to see how everyone has progressed and settled down. We talked of the old days. Of the memories that we all treasured.. when we were able to meet almost everyday, discussing ideas and ambition, inspiring each others.

It was inspiring, since I am sort of at the cross-roads again. What to do, how to pursuit the things that I love to do. Or should I settle down, aiming for something less but more peaceful. Decisions need to be made and it´s never easy…

I´ve found much peace in gardening of late. I want to stay outside a bit more, treasuring the last few warm days before winter completely takes over. We haven´t truly settled in terms of housing yet (patience!), so I opt to grow a lot of things in container. Herbs, mostly. And flowers, too.

Truth to be told I am still uncertain of my next step. That, and the fact that my work and study have become overwhelming lately means that blog updates are slow. But I am still around. :)

Onto food. I am loving artichokes at the moment. I never get over creative with them, though. This artichoke paella recipe is something I make regularly. And now, the pasta with panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) is something I am looking forward to. Here, fresh artichokes are cooked in a microwave, so everything is really simple, fast and delicious. I love artichokes flavours – the subtle sweetness, and lovely texture. (Side note: I am not a big fan of the Vietnamese way of cooking artichokes, often in stew with lots of fatty cuts of meat. Uh!)

This is my contribution to Weekend Herb Blogging, which is hosted by yours truly. I will accept entries until Monday morning (Melbourne time). New to WHB? Make sure to read this post by Haalo.

Spaghetti with fresh artichokes with panko

Ingredients (for 2 portions)
200g spaghetti
5 small artichokes
100ml olive oil (for the artichoke)
squeeze of half lemon (for the artichoke)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bird eye chilli, deseeded and minced
150ml extra virgin olive oil – for the spaghetti
100g panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2-3 tbp fresh lemon juice

parsley, chopped. And parmesan cheese, freshly grated.

1. Prepare the artichoke first. Cut the stalks off 5cm from the base. Carefully peel of the green tough layer and what is yellow is tender. Cut the tips off these and peel the base. Scrape out any furry choke with a teaspoon and cut each prepared artichokes lengthways (google for video!). Keep the artichoke in some water with lemon juice to prevent discoloring.

2. Arrange artichokes in microwave safe bowl. Drizzle 100ml olive oil and 200ml water. Cover with cling wrap and cook in the microwave until just tender. (This depends on the power of your microwave. It took me about 5-7 mins – and my microwave was one of those “ancient” ones). Once the artichokes are cooked, cool and cut into wedges.

3. In a non stick pan, add breadcrumbs and stir until golden. Set aside.

4. Cook the spaghetti in a big pot of salted water. Put oil into a large saucepan, then, add in minced garlic and chilli. Stir until fragrant. Then, add in cooked spaghetti, artichoke. Season to taste with salt and lemon juice. If the spaghetti looks dry, put in a bit of the cooking water. Finally, stir through breadcrumb just before serving

5. Garnish with chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese.

21 Responses to Spaghetti with fresh artichokes and toasted breadcrumb

1. maureen says:

very pretty layout!

Scrumptious! I really love your plate.

3. Min {Honest Vanilla} says:

Anh, this looks really good! I love the new idea (at least to me!) of using artichoke this way :) Just delicious… YUMMY~

4. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets says:

Gorgeous lighting and styling my dear. Love the texture of the panko and fresh artichokes are so perfect for spring.

5. Cooking Gallery says:

Spaghetti with breadcrumbs… New to me but sounds delicious! I'd love the crunchy texture I am sure :).

6. La Table De Nana says:

I have never met a better looking pasta dish~:) Truly!

7. Foodiva says:

I never thought to add panko to my pasta dishes, but this recipe certainly looks delicious! And the addition of the bird eye chilli certainly gives an extra kick to the flavors in this dish. Your shots of the potted flowers look so ethereal and awesome, btw!

Love the plate and the plateful. Anh, I have never prepared artichokes in the MW oven. Thanks for this method. I find it so tie consuming preparing a fresh artichoke that I get the prepared marinated ones. i am the only one who loves artichokes in my family and secretly I a happy, as I do not have to share:)a lovely meal with fresh flavors.

Enjoy the outdoors while you can :) ….love your simple pasta dish. I have tried fresh artichokes once but I find it too much work to get to that little precious "flesh".

10. Monet says:

I enjoyed seeing this lovely recipe and hearing your heart. I pray that you will have clarity and peace in the days ahead. Thank you for sharing another beautifully rendered meal. You know how to get my week off to a great start. I hope your week bursts forth with flavor and love. Hugs from Austin!

What a beautiful, fresh and light pasta! I've always loved artichokes but have never cooked them from fresh – my mum used to marinate artichokes from the can and I'd always try to polish the lot off myself ;)

12. Maria says:

Love the photos and this recipe sounds absolutely heavenly!

13. Kris Ngoei says:

Very enticing and scrumptious shots! Beautiful props and composition :-)

the garden is so relaxing – glad you are finding a space for peace – sounds like things are busy and taking up a lot of energy – the pasta looks so simple and yummy. Never cooked fresh artichokes before but microwaving them sounds my sort of thing

15. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed says:

What a pretty dish! Good luck with your tough decision. Go with your gut instinct :)

16. Ellie @ Kitchen Wench says:

Oh, this looks and sounds marvellous and fresh! I hope that you'll be able to finish settling into the house soon xoxo

17. Tanvi says:

Such a gorgeous looking pasta plate Anh.I have never cooked artichokes at home.Just eaten them at restaurants.I think I ll try this pasta soon.

I love artichokes but never been a fan in prepping it. love love that you are into gardening now. it is good for the soul and very calming

19. Lick My Spoon says:

I'm sure the panko really gives it crunch…never thought of adding it to pasta! Take your time Anh….and I'm sure you will make all the right decisions :)

Simple and beautiful! Now is definitely the time to be enjoying those artichokes…This is a great way to do so.

21. bunnyeatsdesign says:

This looks simple and delicious. I don't think I have ever had fresh artichokes before. I've only seen marinated ones which I'm guessing has quite a different flavour and texture. I like the idea of planting artichokes though as they are quite an interesting looking plant so would double as a garden feature and an edible. I know what you mean about container gardening. We've been