Harvest Joy #1 – French Breakfast Radish

Home-grown French breakfast radishes with butter and sea salt
Radish, butter & sea salt platter

It is a lovely winter day, with golden sunshine which warms up my space. Our family has been down with cold, and the days have been filled with lots of rest, tea, soups etc.

I hate being sick, especially when there are so many things I want to do. Work in the garden has not been progressed much. We intended to build a raised bed to prepare for spring. Patience, I keep on telling myself. I want to enjoy the process, too, and hurrying may lead me to no where.

As a novice gardener, I was so proud to pick up some fresh French breakfast radishes today. I grew them from seeds a few months back, and these little beauties grow so well.

radish1

I ordered organic seeds from Eden Seeds, and planted them in a light seed raising mix until they are about 2-3cm high. I then put them in the foam boxes I collected from vegie shop (brocolli boxes are the best). Punch some holes at the bottom for drainage; add in a premium potting mix and plant. Just make sure the box is fairly high so that the root can have time to grow deeply. Oh, put some sugarcane munch on top to keep help retain the moisture in the pots. Also, place them in a sunny sopt and they are good to go. Water the plants occasionally, when the soil is dryish. Once in a fortnight I feed them with seaweed solution.

Inspired by this forum and various spaces, I have been more active in recycling stuff. For example, I grew these salad leaves mix in an old rice bag. Again, punch some holes for drainage and directly sow a mixture of seeds. Two months in, and I am happy to have fresh leaves for salad. I have also been quite successful in growing dwarf Chinese broccoli, rainbow chard in boxes. Oh, and flowers, too!

_MG_3770

So what´s next? I am getting the beds ready, and perhaps develop a system where I can get more continuous supplies of veggies. I am excited, can you tell?

Now back to the fresh French breakfast radishes that I dug up just a few hours back. They are pretty, with the pinkish colorand oblong shape. I choose to serve some of them fresh, with butter and sea salt. It´s so good, so so good. The rest will be sliced thinly and toss through lemon juice and olive oil. That´s the way we like to serve radishes around here.

_MG_4618

I´m sending this entry to Weekend Herb Blogging, which is hosted by Rachel from The Crispy Cook.

{Resources for novice gardeners}Do you know have more favourite gardening blogs or resources? Please shout out! I tend to spend more time on these than food blogs nowadays. :D

{1} How to grow in foam boxes – excellent tutorial. Plus this site has excellent information on veggies growing.

{2} Seeds company: Eden Seeds – friendly, informative and prompt. The lost seeds for herloom varieties that dated back long, long time in Australia – support this independent business if you can.

{3} A wonderful forum with warm hearted people who are always ready to help out. I love the title, so inspiring, Aussie Living Simply

Home-grown French breakfast radishes

34 Responses to Harvest Joy #1 – French Breakfast Radish

1. kathryn says:

Oh Anh, those French Breakfast radishes are so pretty aren't they. And love the fact you are thinking outside the square and using re-using containers.

I love those radishes! Perfect with a little butter and salt…

3. chinmayie @ love food eat says:

Those radishes look great! Nothing tastes better than fresh veggies that came from your own garden!

4. tinytearoom says:

I am a radish lover. They brighten up any old salad. I've never tried to grow them myself but we use to get them from our neighbour and the flavour had so much more punch to it than the store bought stuff. We think its because radishes don't last long when picked and the store probably doesnt get them to show for several days. Good luck with the spring planting!

5. La Table De Nana says:

Your rice bag garden is inspirational:)

6. leaf (the indolent cook) says:

How fresh and vibrant. I love your posts on the harvests from your garden!

7. Tanvi@SinfullySpicy says:

Your produce is sooo gorgeous looking- Nothing can beat home grown food-So far I have only managed few tomatoes in hot Vegas :( Thanks for the tips on gardening. I think I ll love anything with butter :)

8. Marnely Rodriguez says:

Gorgeous photography dear!

This is actually the first time I see this oblong shape red radish. So great that you planted it yourself.

10. Pam says:

Love the use of the rice bag! Hope you feel better!

11. Cakebrain says:

Wow! You sure do have a green thumb! The radishes are so amazing looking and I marvel at your ability to grow gorgeous veggies in a rice bag! Way to go! Loved your pics as usual too!

12. Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul says:

You're quite the gardener Anh! Love the crop and some great ideas here too!

Well done, your green fingers are showing :) I love the idea of growing salad in an old rice bag. Looks pretty too.

14. Barbara says:

I don't know about breakfast, Anh, but I eat them the rest of the day. Love serving them with just salt for an appetizer and nothing is better than a radish sandwich. I roasted them recently for a salad post…was amazed at the flavor change.

15. Rachel says:

What delectable radishes you grew! You may be a novice gardener, but it sounds like you have so much planted or planned already, that you sound like a pro.

16. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets says:

What an interesting breakfast — I'd never think of radishes in the morning hehe. So lovely to see and hear about the fruits of your garden. Wish I had a space to grow such things myself.

17. Lisa H. says:

oooh lovely radishes… and you have the patience to watch them grow from seeds..

Oh I am so excited by your garden! Though I cannot have any garden, not even pots of plants right now, I have the right to envy others', right ? :)

19. Monet says:

I hate being sick too. I'm trying to rest up a strained leg, and it is taking twice as long because I won't slow down! These radishes look lovely though…thank you for sharing them.

20. Jennifer (Delicieux) says:

Awww these breakfast radishes are gorgeous. I've not heard of them before. You certainly have a lot of patience to grow them from a seed, but they look like they were worth the wait!

21. msihua says:

Those just look absolutely beautiful! You definitely have the green thumb :)

your garden looks so fresh and colourful – just the thing in the middle of winter – and I love your recycling idea for pots

23. WizzyTheStick says:

Not very experienced with radishes since the ones we get here(imported) are round and not long like yours. It's exciting to be able to eat food that you have grown yourself.

Stunning photos and with salt and butter I bet they were perfect!

25. ChichaJo says:

Love these radishes…have only seen them on blogs as I think they do not grow them here. And I absolutely love your gardening! I too am so excited just reading about it! I have always wanted to grow my own produce but my tiny balcony and city pollution prevents it. I shall have to live vicariously through you then :)

26. janet @ the taste space says:

Veggies in a rice bag – oh my god, so cute! Love your ingenuity and I hope you reap many bountiful crops! :)

27. Shirley @ Kokken69 says:

More pretty radish! I just came over from Maria's blog… you girls are so lucky… to have access to beautiful vegetables like these!

28. Graziana says:

I also love to grow radishes from seeds and French Breakfast where already on my wishlist for this autumn… now I can't wait to grow them, yours are beautiful!

29. Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! says:

So pretty! Don't think I've ever eaten (or seen) breakfast radishes before.

30. Sanjeeta kk says:

Oh..these fresh veggies and greens look so refreshing. And to say that I have plenty of space in my backyard which I hardly use…need to find my shovel :)

31. Von says:

I know..I hate being sick too! Especially during holidays when you've got heaps of stuff you want to do! These radishes look beautiful! I've never successfully grown anything…haha- though I would love to have a veggie garden to have fresh ingredients to work with! I love how you grew veggies in a rice bag! I've only tried growing stuff in the ground…maybe that's why they didn&

32. BitterSweet says:

Incredible photos- I've never seen long radishes like this before!

33. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

I'm really a big fan of your pictures. Very beautiful. This beautiful radish looks like zucchini. :-)

34. mycookinghut says:

I love french radishes! They are just yummy with just butter and salt!