Matcha and white chocolate cookies. And the celebration of life.

Green tea + white chocolate cookies

I know that October won´t be easy.

One year ago, my friend Hoa lost her fight to cancer. I also had that same thought, and the pain of separation and loss. I thought of the life she could have had, of her pain and illness. I even felt inadequate, and empty.

Only until recently I had the courage to open and read her blog again. And cried, and understood something more meaningful. If she were here, Hoa would inspire me to live for tomorrow with dream and passion. She would tell me that although she had gone, it is not the end. I used to think Hoa lost her battle to cancer. But she did not. We are all heading to that inevitable end. She simple finished her task here a bit sooner than me. And she did it, lived her life in style until the end, with so much courage and passion.

Today is her birthday. Happy birthday, Hoa!

Golden Wattle Flowers

These cookies are great to share around. Perhaps they are not fit for special occasions and such, but why can´t we celebrate the simple things in life every day?

Larger view of recipe

matcha_recipe

38 Responses to Matcha and white chocolate cookies. And the celebration of life.

1. Magda says:

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your friend. I visited her site and saw her photograph… it's so sad.

We do have to celebrate the little things in life! Happy Birthday Hoa…

3. A Thought For Food says:

Such a sweet post… celebrating your friend this way. We should all live life the way she did.

4. Sukaina says:

A very moving post Anh. I liek the way you describe her not losing her battle against cancer but just finishing her job here faster. Brought a tear to my eye. Indeed we must all celebrate life, the here, the now!

5. leaf (the indolent cook) says:

So sorry for your loss. The cookies look beautiful in their tranquil setting… much like your tribute to your friend Hoa. xx

6. OohLookBel says:

What a bittersweet sentiment for your friend. Hope you're well – your lovely photos (and recipe) have certainly brightened my day!

7. Kulsum@JourneyKitchen says:

so touching Anh. You are such a special person. Yes, we all need to live NOW. Those cookies look very special to me.

8. La Table De Nana says:

You are so sweet.

9. Nelly Rodriguez says:

Very moving and it's true…we should celebrate the every days as well as the holidays. Gorgeous…

10. Junglefrog says:

What a sweet tribute to your friend Anh. It's hard to lose someone as I've recently also experienced but indeed we must celebrate life; and these cookies are as perfect as anything!

This post makes me cry and also confirms what I had been telling myself about my ma, that she was done with her work her and that is why she had to leave. It is sad, but it helps me calm myself. The cookies look good and the photographs are FANTASTIC.

12. Jennifer (Delicieux) says:

This post brought a tear to my eye. I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. It's so hard when you lose someone close so young. My cousin passed away 3 years ago, at the ago of 19, and not a day goes by I don't think about him and the life he would and should be living now. I think these things remind us it's our duty to make the most of every day.

13. amee says:

What a sweet tribute. i am very impressed with your styling and photography. you have a gift. I am so glad I came across your blog. :)

14. Nic@diningwithastud says:

Im so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful post. Its true, we should celebrate the little things – they're what makes up life after all

15. Lisa H. says:

Sorry for your loss…

16. Mrs Ergül says:

Anh, I'm very sorry for your loss. You are right, your friend lived in style even till the end. One can tell that simply by looking at that happy photo on her blog. End last year I lost a co-worker, lunch mate and friend to cancer too. He left just 5 months after his diagnosis.

17. Vanille says:

Anh, a moving post and a very touching hommage to your lost friend.

18. food eater says:

I do really love chocolates and it really makes me crave for it. :) Thanks for sharing I love it!

Lovely post Anh – am sure hoa would have been proud and happy to see it. Good luck with the first year anniversary – I think part of grieving is to find ways to remember! Love the cookies too – beautiful colour and they sounds delicious.

20. Jamie says:

A beautiful, sad, touching post. I lost my brother 2 years ago and I am still stunned. It is hard to come to terms with it but I do think that little things like baking help keep the memories sweet. Wonderful little cookies.

21. chinmayie @ love food eat says:

Such a touching post!

22. The Dinner Belle for KimberlyBelle.com says:

Your friend is an inspiration to us all – to remind us to keep living the best we can with no regrets :) thank you for this lovely post! And what a perfectly sweet recipe to accompany the tribute to your friend!! Okashi is a wonderful english resource for Japanese desserts.

23. Vee says:

A fitting tribute I think! And lovely cookies too – hard to enjoy the simple things everyday with all the little complications of life :(

24. Ellie | Gourmand Recipes says:

What a great tribute to your dear friend. This is a good reminder for us to treasure every moment of our life. Thanks for sharing, Anh.

25. Ellie | Gourmand Recipes says:

This is a great tribute to your dear friend. A reminder to treasure every moment of our life.

26. SavoringTime in the Kitchen says:

I peeked at Hoa's blog and she was a beautiful, young woman. I'm sure she would be delighted that her memory lives on with you.

27. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Anh, I'm really sorry to hear you lost your friend. I was moved by reading your post, and her posts and I reflect my life and everything going on. Happy birthday to Hoa, and you are such a sweet friend to celebrate her life. I'm going to make these cookies. I have some matcha powder left from making matcha ice cream (not sure if it's enough, if not I'll buy more for this). I

28. JavelinWarrior says:

Your post is so touching and inspiring – and cookies are gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing and commemorating your friend's life…

29. Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) says:

Anh, so sorry to hear your lost of your friend. This cookie is a great tribute to your friend..

30. Spencer says:

Love the pictures! Can't decide if it is food or art though!

31. Carolyn Jung says:

Just looking at those lovely photos evokes a sense of calm. My condolences on the loss of your friend. I bet she is smiling at what you wrote and at those delicious cookies. ;)

32. Christine says:

so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend. happy birthday to Hoa xoxo

33. The Good Life says:

Great blog, come and visit us at:-

34. [...] (typeof(addthis_share) == "undefined"){ addthis_share = [];}When I saw my foodie friend Anh’s Matcha and White Chocolate Cookies post on her blog A Food Lover’s Journey last month, I knew I needed to make it.  I love both [...]

35. [...] Matcha White Chocolate Sablés from Okashi Treats by Keiko Ishida. [...]

36. [...] Without Butter had a link to the recipe on Anh’s Food Blog, where you can find the original recipe. Of course, me being me, I felt compelled to alter it to [...]

37. [...] {matcha and white chocolate cookies} from anh of {a food lover’s journey} - anh writes a beautiful post encouraging us to celebrate the simple things in life every day and remembers a dear friend with these pale green matcha and white chocolate cookies. [...]