Simmered Soy Beans with ginger and soy sauce {Japanese inspired}

We ended last year on a quiet note. A much needed getaway, far from work and obligations. It wasn’t far away but we stayed in a quiet, tranquil Japanese inn called Shizuka Ryokan near Daylesford.

For a few days, we relaxed ourselves entirely. Bush walking, bathing in mineral water, wandering around in different stores. Most of the time, we were happy to read and reflect quietly in the room overlooking a private Japanese style garden.

holiday

Food, we did indulge ourselves. Trips to the Lake House have not disappointed unlike its cousin the Wombat Hill cafe. But the meal I like the most is the Japanese style breakfast. Although the salmon seemed a bit heavy for morning meal, the meal itself was nourishing and comforting. I love miso soup for the morning with rice. A few salad dishes were healthy and wholesome. Such a great start for the day.

Soy beans, simmered in ginger and sweet soy sauce

Coming back, renewed, I continue that simplicity philosophy in food preparation. I remember a really nice, simple soy bean dish simmered in sweet soy sauce I had a while back. Traditionally, black beans are used, and it is a Japanese New Year dish called Kuromame. The version I made has an additional warm tone of ginger.

The beans are sweet, savoury and have that wholesome ‘al-dente’ bite to each piece. This is a kind of small dish you can offer in everyday Asian style meal. Serve it as you would serve pickles I say. The following recipe makes quite a bit, and we have enjoyed it for a few days.

I am sending this recipe to a lovely blogging event called My Legume Love Affair. It was started by my friend Susan of the Well-seasoned Cook. This month host is  Claire of Chez Cayenne .

Soy beans, simmered in ginger and sweet soy sauce

Simmered Soy Beans with ginger and soy sauce
based on a recipe here. This dish has a long cooking time, but it’s really simple to make.

150g dried soy beans (or black beans)
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
A pinch of salt
A piece of thumb-size ginger, cut into three large pieces

Wash the beans and soak them in warm water for 3-4 hours.

Drain and simmer the beans in a pot with a lot of water and the pieces of ginger until cooked through (2-3 hours). The beans should be soft with a bite.

Now add the seasoning and continue to simmer with the lowest heat possible until most of the liquid evaporates (1-2 hours). Check the beans – you don’t want them to be mushy but wholesome and ‘al dente’.

Serve at room temperature. Store in an air-tight container for around 4-5 days.

41 Responses to Simmered Soy Beans with ginger and soy sauce {Japanese inspired}

What a wonderful place to relax. That dish looks lovely and I love the zen aspect of it.

2. Sherie @ Maameemoomoo says:

This looks like something I would love to eat between meals!

3. Christine@Christine's Recipes says:

The bean dish looks so simple, yet I know it takes a lot of time and effort to make it perfect. Your picture speaks it clearly. Love it !

4. Mrs Ergül says:

Love the photos! I will imagine it will be a pinch to make when using a pressure cooker?

The simple recipes are the best. I can imagine how soy and ginger would pair so well. And am really glad that you could take a break to what sounds like a really wonderfully calming place. That is what I would love to do sometimes.. just go amidst nature and read, no noise, no talking:) (Its hard with kids…) The little branch adds such beauty to the photograph and I am in love with that

Soma, it is an old board I picked up from a thrift store recently. I was thrilled to find it :)

7. leaf (the indolent cook) says:

I've thought about staying at that inn before! What a gorgeous getaway.

8. Claire says:

What a beautiful, simple dish. Thanks for sending this to My Legume Love Affair.

9. msihua says:

For a moment there I thought you made natto! So jealous you have been to the sanctuary in Daylesford (that's what I call it).. I want to go too!

10. Angie's Recipes says:

How nice. Beautiful lake house. The soya bean dish looks delish.

11. ChichaJo says:

What a lovely way to spend the new year! Yes, we too definitely enjoy those simple quiet time when we can reconnect with what is important without outside "noise". Wishing you all the best for the new year Anh!

This is certainly one nutritious and healthy dish!

13. A Spoonful of Yumm says:

interesting recipe…the beans look beautiful. happy new year !

14. john@heneedsfood says:

What a gorgeous a simple recipe. So nourishing! I'd love to try these at home sometime.

15. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

What a nice way to start off the new year, I'm glad you got to enjoy some quiet time resting and relaxing.

16. Shulie says:

I don;t know why while looking at these bean though Asian flavors I got a feeling if I bite into them them the sensation would be of boiled peanuts. Which btw I love. Love the background for this photo too!

17. The Café Sucré Farine says:

Hello Anh, these bean sound amazing – I would have never thought of this combination but it sounds like a winner. And it sounds like you had a wonderful break and get-away!

18. Love and other Spices says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog.Such a simple recipe and love to try it out with my favorite black eyed beans.You're lucky to have found that board.

19. Shirley @ Kokken69 says:

Oh, I love soy beans… infusing it with warm ginger… that sounds really interesting!

20. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

So happy to see a post about Japanese (inspired) recipe, Anh! Your photograph is amazing and these soy beans look really delicious!

21. Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) says:

This infact sound very healthy!

22. Lora says:

Looks like a wonderful weekend. Lobe the bean recipe. Simple and flavorful.

23. SavoringTime in the Kitchen says:

This sounds delicious! I love legumes of all kinds too. What a beautiful and peaceful place that must be. The little fountain is charming.

24. JavelinWarrior says:

Thank you so much for sharing! These beans are amazing and I´ve been inspired to feature them in my Friday Food Fetish roundup. If you have any objections, please let me know. Moar, moar, MOAR please :)

25. Junia says:

wow i love finding new ways to cook beans. adding ginger while simmering is wonderful. i bet the aromas gave a great touch to the flavor.

26. Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan says:

Dear Anh,

27. Barbara says:

Anh, what a marvelous bowl of good health and good eating to start us out on the right foot.

your break sounds just lovely – glad you got some of the r and r you needed – and these beans sound amazing – bookmarked for a day I have lots of time to simmer

29. Jay says:

this is just awesome…yummmy…

30. mycookinghut says:

Looks really simple to do and yummy!

31. Winston says:

Oh man… I don't know which is more amazing. Your photos or this recipe. I say, both! Your pictures never fail to make my jaws drop. Glad to hear you had a much needed relaxing new year break. That Japanese inn sounds great! Hope you continue to have more great things coming your way in the coming year. Take care! =)

32. Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul says:

Glad you had a relaxing new year break Anh…always good to recharge those batteries! Again, I'm loving the simplicity and ease of this dish…so delightful!

33. kankana says:

I am not much of a bean fan but trying out new dishes is something I have always enjoyed. This is a completely unique recipe for me and something worth trying. LOVE The clicks.

34. Monet says:

How I needed this! Thank you for the tranquil post. After a very stressful day, I'm finally sitting down to tea, and it is so relaxing to see these beautiful photographs and read your words. I hope you are having a blessed start to your new year. Much love from Austin!

35. mjskit says:

I've cooked a lot of pots of beans, but I've never cooked soy beans! Yours look so tasty I just want to reach into that picture and eat them right out of the bowl. Great recipe – very simple,and I'm sure – extremely tasty! Great post!

36. Sanjeeta kk says:

Have been looking out for Soy beans recipe for long..I make the usual Indian curry (Dal) with it. This one seems to be quite interesting to try. Such simple ingredients and easy..waiting to cook it.

37. Marina {Yummy Mummy) says:

Wow, your pictures are so beautiful!

38. Yasmeen says:

How absolutely gorgeous, Anh! We were recently up in Daylesford, too. Isn't it just divine.

39. Shu Han says:

Very interesting! I believe I've had a very similar thing to these, using peanuts instead, you know the ones they set on the table for free at chinese restaurants? Love them!

40. lacaffettierarosa says:

Your pictures are so clean and beautiful. The beans look like jewels. I've always wanted to try this recipe, and I certainly will now.

41. [...] pair very nicely with a nuttier protein side, like these simmered soybeans with ginger and soy sauce from Anh’s Food Blog. They remind me of something my mom would have made when I was growing [...]