Moist Maple Madeleines

Maple Syrup madeleines

I have not baked much lately. If there is anything to “blame”, it is this fitness and nutrition plan! I am feeling happier, and attitudes towards food have changed a lot, too.

My family misses my home-baked treats, though. It was not like we indulged all the time. My baked treats were normally simple and served in smallish portions anyway. But treats are still treats, and during the first couple of weeks, I just wanted to focus my mind and energy on exercising and eating clean…

Now I am trying to normalise our eating habits even more by starting to bake again. A lot less though, and in moderation. I would save my calories and workout for those baked goods and desserts. Because I don’t want to give up the sweet thing in life.

And you know what. Now I eat my cakes less frequent but with much higher pleasures. More appreciation, more understanding. It’s all good.

These maple madeleines are a breeze to make and they taste so, so good. I adore the fragrance of maple syrup here!(I used grade B, the darker and more amber stuff). A good, strong floral scented honey will be excellent, too.

Maple Syrup madeleines

Maple madeleines

Simple, fast, delicious. Use a good quality honey or maple syrup!

Ingredients (for 12 standard sized pieces)
2 eggs
40g castor sugar
40g maple syrup (I used dark maple syrup)
90g plain flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
80g unsalted butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 180C. Spray your cake pan with non-stick oil spray.
Mix sugar, butter and eggs well, followed by the honey. Then, sift together flour and baking powder to the egg mixture. Stir to combine – avoid overmixing.
Use a medium spoon, put the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 16-18′ until cooked through. Take out of the pan then cool down.

41 Responses to Moist Maple Madeleines

So pretty and tempting!

2. mycookinghut says:

I love madeleines and love maple syrup too! This is a must try for me. Well done!

3. Jamie says:

I love madeleines! I just started baking them for the first time and am in love! And these are really perfect when you want a sweet treat but need to limit yourself – one with a cup of tea is the perfect treat. I love the maple flavor – bookmarked!

4. Caffettiera says:

I understand exactly how you feel. I've been through a similar process a few months ago, and although I have not made massive changes, it is a different attitute to food. It felt great though to go back to baking for me, it is such a pleasure. The madeleines look like they are worth their calories, definitely!

5. Cocoa and Lavender says:

These sound great, Anh! Being form a Vermont family, maple syrup is a staple in all our kitchens. I am also trying to watch what I eat and am trying to eat fresh fruit over baked goods or chocolate, but I do need something sweet to "give closure" to my meal. A little madeleine would be just the thing! Thanks! ~ David

6. Angie's Recipes says:

These are really pretty!

7. Junglefrog says:

Mmm, thanks for that link to your fitness program. I might join as I really need to get moving again. Love your madeleines but I totally know what you mean with baking… ;)

8. magda says:

Hi Ahn! I too am going through a similar phase. I eat more healthily and I only indulge in my favorite desserts only once in a while and in smaller portions.

9. chinmayie @ love food eat says:

These madeleines look so pretty. Maple flavor sounds delicious.

10. WokandSpoon says:

we had been eating healthy for a few months then in the last few weeks, I've been on a mad baking rampage. Need to stop and go back to healthy eating again! I've only every made plain madeleines. Maple flavoured ones look really nice.

11. Tina @ bitemeshowme says:

Holy cow that is super simple. Must run off to get a madeleine tray :) They look gorgeous x

12. Janine says:

glad you're back with lovely sweet things ;p and how is the program? I've heard many things about it but haven't dared to take that step yet.

I could never give up sweetness, so thank heavens we'll still get your high-quality deliciousness here! I adore maple syrup, so will need to get a madeleine tin soon… :)

14. msihua says:

So pretty! Loving the shots with the vintage floral plate! I'm so hooked on vintage at the moment!

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I've seen so many Madeleines recipe lately and I must buy pans soon to try. I have problem with portion control in terms of sweets/desserts… so it's hard for me to "start" baking. I know I'd eat the whole thing by myself… Anyway your maple madeleines sound so delicious. Slight sweetness and beautiful color! I always love your photos too.

16. Deeps @ Naughty Curry says:

they are gorgeous, did u use a special madeline pan for them to get that shape?

17. myFudo says:

My grandma used to tell me Madeleines mean "magnificent little cakes". I love dipping in them in my morning cup. This and my grammy's memories make this recipe really close to my heart. I love the maple syrup flavor… Thanks for sharing.

I love maple syrup – madeleins always look a bit dry to me but I can imagine these would be a treat I would savour – and your approach to your health and treats seems very sensible

19. Winston says:

These are great, Anh! I love using Maple Syrup in my baking too so thanks for another fun idea. And really happy to hear that you feel so much better physically and mentally ever since starting this new regime. Very motivating to the rest of us to start exercising more and eating better =)

20. mjskit says:

Maple syrup is such a great flavor and it sounds wonderful as the flavor for these beautiful madeleines! Gorgeous cookies and pics!

21. Jennifer (Delicieux) says:

Your madeleines look so pretty Anh! Congratulations on sticking to your plan too, and good to see you are somewhat resuming to normal eating patterns. I never think complete denial is a good thing, especially where these pretty madeleines are concerned :D

22. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef says:

I've only used my madaleines pan once and it's crying to be filled with this maple beauties!

23. Yuri says:

Any, I am with you talking about not giving up sweets in life! I am eating with thinking about being healthy. But at he same time, I have sweet tooth! I should do exercise more regularly like you:-)

24. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Oh, I've never heard of that program, will have to check it out. Sounds like it's a good one.

25. Amanda says:

Thanks for dropping by my blog, Anh, and thanks for this recipe. I simply adore maple syrup and am always looking for ways to use it – but in moderation as it is so very expensive here in Australia.

26. El says:

Love the idea of using maple syrup. Fantastic!

27. erin @ yummy supper says:

Anh, These look light just the right hint of sweetness. A little treat like that is what I crave in the late afternoon. I love your use of maple!

28. Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul says:

These look beautiful Anh…great idea to use maple syrup.

29. Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy says:

I need to buy myself a madaleine pan! I have a big bottle of 100% Maple Syrup waiting for it!

30. Tanvi@SinfullySpicy says:

These look so neat & so does the recipe..Love the light in pictures. I agree with you..when I indulge less, I tend to enjoy sweets more.,its been ages I baked..sigh!

31. Tanvi@SinfullySpicy says:

I have been experimenting with dark, amber colored raw agave nectar lately..I thnk that will work great here too..what do you think?

32. Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy says:

I really need to get myself a madaleine pan. I have a big bottle of maple syrup waiting to be baked into these!

33. Yasmeen says:

Anh, we are truly in the same boat! After we learned that my fiance – who has been a chronic migraine sufferer for over 10 years – is hypoglycemic, we immediately turned to a change in diet to try and naturally cure his ailments. This meant no more caffeine (adios, beloved coffee), dramatic reduction in baked things (even though like you, we did it sparingly and always made things healthier), and

34. grade-b-maple-syrup says:

If these taste as good as they look, I'd be in complete bliss.

35. The Café Sucré Farine says:

Such simple ingredients with such beautiful results!

36. lisa is cooking says:

It's so true that having sweets only occasionally makes them taste even better. Your madeleines look lovely! The maple flavor sounds great.

37. Jo says:

I bet these must have tasted delicious. Such treats with a nice cup of tea over a Sunday afternoon.

38. Amy (Savory Moments) says:

I don't have this baking mold, but love maple and think these look great!

39. Anonymous says:

Hi Anh, you mentioned you use "Grade B" maple syrup. How do we find out what grade the maple syrup is from the supermarket shelves?

Leen, hi! I used the bottle I got from the US for this. I haven't seen graded maple syrup in supermarket shelves. So the best option is perhaps the organic range? Or some online stores may carry grade A stuff!

41. Katty Cakes says:

It's amazing how trying to eat healthy can make you savour desserts even more. I went through the same, and now a slice of cake is a special and enjoyable occasion – the way it should be! This recipe is might simple (and looks beauuuutiful!), so this will be my treat for the weekend – thanks!