Turkish Dill and Feta Bun (poğaça)

Turkish Dill and Feta Bun (poğaça)

And celebrate Ramadan in style…

During Ramadan we naturally eat more Middle Eastern food in our house, particularly Turkish food. I owe these habits to all the friends & mothers I have known over the year. I didn’t have a Ramadan cooking repertoire under my belt before marriage. Now I do! A mix and match of different cuisines, an exciting mix and very much reflect the diversity in our paths.

Whatever I cook though, Ramadan food is honest and wholesome. After fasting hours, I feel my body craving for clean and nutritious dishes. Wholesome bread with carrot dip, chicken ginseng herbal soup, rice with lots of greens, phở or our favorite light curry. Simple food can’t be tastier.

We also love our bread, fresh from the oven if possible. Failing that, we are equally happy with the special Ramadan pide from a Turkish food market nearby. These are only available during Ramadan and baked fresh everyday. A small taste of Turkey here?

With the crazy hours, I appreciate the little time aside to bake these breads.Poğaça is a Turkish style bun, normally with cheese inside. They are so, so good hot from the oven. The melted cheese, the warm soft bread, the fragrance of baked goods with a hint of dills. My stomach and my senses are satisfied and happy.

Turkish Dill and Feta Bun

• * 1/4 cup chopped dill
  • * 675g plain flour
  • * 2.5 tsp salt
  • * 200g feta cheese, cubed
  • * finely grated zest of 2 lemons

Instructions

1. Mix together the milk with 125ml of water, oil, egg and salt.
  2. Using a stand mixer, mix together the flour, sugar and dry yeast. Pour in the wet mixture then mix and knead until the dough is formed and becomes smooth and elastic (7-10 minutes). Add in the dill and knead well to combine.
  3. Put the dough in an oiled bowl. Cover and rest for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
  4. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line two baking tray.
  5. Combine the lemon zest with feta.
  6. Divide the dough to 20 pieces (or 12 pieces if you want large buns). Flatten each ball into a disc, add in some feta cheese. Bring the edge of the ball together to form a ball again, enclose the filling inside. Place the bun seam side down onto the baking tray. Repeat until you have finishe with the dough.
  7. Cover with a damp towel then rest for 30'.
  8. Bake for 20 mins or until golden and cooked through. Cool on a wire rack.

Notes

www.anhsfoodblog.com

Recipe adapted with some modification from Turkey by Leanne Kitchen

Turkey

38 Responses to Turkish Dill and Feta Bun (poğaça)

1. Rosa says:

Delicious! Turkish food is so scrumptious.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Irina says:

Extraordinary photo I can almost smell that dill. It alywas reminds me of the wonderful Garlic Dill pickles my aunt used to make. She grew her own dill, also. :)

2. [...] post: Turkish Dill and Feta Bun (poğaça) | Anh's Food Blog Tags: asian-snacks, cookbooks, dough, fitness, main-dish-idea, photography, turkish-dill, [...]

3. Gorgeous! I love the combination of feta and dill, and can’t wait to try them in this recipe.

Looks gorgeous and rich (and rich is that beautiful wood too!). Love the flavors here and really nothing beats some warm fresh baked bread.

5. What a beautiful little roll Anh! Gorgeous!

6. The bun looks so good, and I love how it’s almost bite sizes. Have a good Ramadhan month! Glad you popped over and THANKS for leaving me a buzz. Can’t wait to explore your culinary adventure, and I truly missing Melbourne to bits. Can’t wait to be back.. Cheers, Jo

7. LCOM says:

I like how you shaped it, so cute!

8. The buns look great. I like how you have styled them on the wood, one of the things that I love most about your posts are your photos.

Oh my gosh, hot warm cheese hidden inside! So good!

10. Nandita says:

This looks fantastic. A heart warming bread indeed :)

11. Lora @cakeduchess says:

Love the feta cheese added to the bread. I love warm baked bread and your rolls are fantastic:)

12. Mrs Ergül says:

my husband will love this. The buns are very nicely glazed, did you do an egg wash?

these sound truly lovely – I imagine that the body can’t cope with much except simple food after fasting all day – it must be better to fast during winter when at least the days are short

14. mycookinghut says:

These little buns are so cute!

15. These looks so inviting Anh! A wonderful recipe!

16. How tasty :) great combo and no need for a side of bread ;)

17. The inside of that bun looks incredible. I dont think I’ve tried this before but if I did see them around I would love to try them! They look great!

18. Aw, these look SO good! I dont think they would last long around my family and I. We love bread! :D

19. msihua says:

That looks lovely and delicious! Have a lovely fasting month :)

20. Winston says:

Middle Eastern food has always been a cuisine I am particularly drawn to because of its rich history and culture. And the fact that it’s so completely unfamiliar to me makes it so much more fascinating to me. LOVE how you’re able to slowly add more and more recipes to your repertoire of a completely new cuisine. Inspiring for me to know that maybe I can do it too =D

21. Tor says:

These look wonderful! I adore dill, but I’ve only ever used it in Nordic dishes, so this is a welcome change. :)

22. Wow. These Turkish buns are gorgeous Anh! Bravo on a job well done. Happy to be back home and catch up on your site.

23. Ivy says:

Love these little breads filled with feta.

24. Just beautiful Anh, I love the sound of dill in these!

25. They look delicious. There’s nothing like bread stuffed with cheese!

26. dhanggit says:

these are the most adorable buns i have ever seen! love the cheese stuff inside , yum!

27. Dill and feta are a heavenly combination and these buns looks positively gorgeous. Love the crispy glazed spots on top – so inviting!

28. Simone says:

O yes I love middle Eastern food too and this looks delicious. love the idea of that hidden bit of cheese inside.

29. I’m really new to Turkish food and I wouldn’t recognize if this bun is from Turkish cuisine. The buns look so fresh and delicious – and your photography is simply gorgeous Anh!! Make me want to grab some!

30. Oh Anh, those rolls look divine! I’d love one of these with the soup I’m making for dinner :D

31. joey says:

They look and sound delicious! I look forward to the time I spend cooking and baking also…really helps to recharge me :)

32. Sihi says:

Delicious and beautiful!
    Best,
    Sihi

33. Yuri says:

Hi, Anh.

What a delish looking buns with feta peeking out! I would love to taste them:-)I can follow your Ramadan eating habit with you as I love Middle Eastern, Turkish food!

34. that looks like a bundle of goodness.

35. Michelle says:

Thank you for such a brilliant recipe! One question, can I replace feta with any other cheese? And Dill, could I replace that with rosemary instead? Just a thought.

36. [...] to Anh’s Foodblog for the recipe idea! [...]