Mars bar double chocolate cookies

There is a longing comfort in home baked goods. The not so perfect looking cookies , a piece of pound cake with a dome on top. And the unmistakable fragrance of butter, something I miss when eating out. Even restaurant dessert, you know, the upmarket “snicker bar” or whatever, sometimes it is just too foreign for me.

I have been testing and baking a lot of cakes lately for the book. My family rave at cheesecake and the more elaborated stuff. But I myself take pleasure in the simplest form of dessert. Ripe strawberries with sweetened Jersey raw cream I found in an organic store. Behold. The cream was so smooth and thick, it was unforgettable.

Too much baking can be a bad thing, when pleasure is low and responsibilities with deadlines are high. The process of creating picture perfect cakes can be a little daunting. It gets on my nerves at times. How many ways you can photograph muffins? Trust me, not many! I have done several batches of the same cake with little variations to perfect the taste AND the look….

That is why I am thankful for this blog, for the dishes I can photograph whatever way I like. Carefree.

I’m making something special today! Mars bar double chocolate cookies. They are giant, and very bad for you. But addicting it is. I haven’t got enough of the chocolate-caramel-saltiness as yet.And you know the best part? They are home-made, and you can’t find it outside! :)

Mars bar chocolate cookies

Serving Size: 20

I got giant 20 cookies from this recipe! It spreads!

Ingredients

• 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 160g brown sugar
  • 20g corn syrup
  • 150g plain flour
  • 40g cocoa powder
  • ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
  • 100g dark chocolate
  • 2 mars bars, sliced
  • A generous pinch of salt

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 150C.
  2. Add the eggs and vanilla to a separate bowl and whisk lightly to combine.
  3. Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the egg mixture and beat until incorporated. Add the corn syrup and beat briefly to combine before sifting over the dry ingredients. Stir gently to incorporate then add the chunks of chocolate.
  4. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
  5. Roll tablespoons of the mixture into biscuit shapes and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Gently press a slice of mars bar into the centre of each biscuit and sprinkle over a little salt.(I got 20 cookies)
  6. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes to your liking. Allow to cool a little on the tray then transfer to a baking rack to cool completely.

Notes

Recipe adapted from here: http://www.dailylife.com.au/dl-food/food-blogs/blogs/the-kitchen-coquette/death-by-chocolate-20120807-23r4b.html

32 Responses to Mars bar double chocolate cookies

1. Nic says:

They look divine! I want one now!

2. Sukaina says:

I love eating things that are bad for you and this cookie looks fantastic! Congratulations on your book lady!

3. Magda says:

Ahn, I love your photographs in this post. They are so moody and beautiful. These cookies look sumptuous.

4. Monique says:

My daughter will get this..they love Chef Chuck Hughe’s Fried mars bar..Imagine how they will like these!

5. Rosa says:

Mmmhh, those look quite sinful! What a great treat.

Cheers,

Rosa

6. yojo says:

thanks for the recipe. These look really goood!!

7. Winston says:

Oh my gosh, Anh… This is seriously droolsome on so many levels. How incredibly creative of you! I can’t think of a better way to curb any chocolate cravings I may have in the future than with this. My friends are so gonna get a kick (in a good way) out of this… Thanks!!

I grew up having Mars Bar Slice about once or twice a year (when Mum made it for school fetes), but I’ve never used Mars Bars in any other way! These definitely look like they could suit a dark strong coffee :D

9. you hear that knock on the door? thats me coming to eat all your cookies.

10. Christine says:

mmm love incorporating mars bars into baking!

11. They look amazing and I love the idea of them. Great to see big chunks of Mars bar in the cookie!

Ai-Ling

12. Oh Anh! You have done it again! I feel like a little girl and would love a couple of these rich sinful Mars Bar DOUBLE Choc Cookies. I know my bestie’s fiance will love it too. Baked him a Mars Bar Birthday Cake, but I never had the chance to remake it just yet. I do love simple treats too. I am seriously looking forward to your new book to be published. Perhaps can I get an autograph from you? hehe.. Thanks for coming over. I truly appreciate every support given. Huggssss, Jo

13. JohannaGGG says:

I agree – you can leave the fancy desserts at the door and leave me with a box of these and I would be very happy. I am sure your photography for the book is beautiful but it is reassuring to hear it is not all fun and games – finding the right light and new angles and the right colour is hard – I think I often give up before I get there! Good luck with it

14. If you need a recipe tester, you know who to ask (lah)! :)

15. Hi Anh,

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your valuable comments, you have a lovely space here. Looking forward to dropping by often. Cheers

16. A cookie and a candy bar, super combination. They look amazing!

17. These cookies look decadent! Love the clicks too.

18. LCOM says:

Oh yum, nothing can go wrong with double chocolate! Loved it!

19. joey says:

Homemade is definitely the best! Especially when it is awesome cookies like these! I am thisclose to coming over there for a couple (or more!) right now!

20. This is tooooooooooooo good, Anh! I’d eat about 5 of those any time of day. Double, triple, quad triple choc – anything with chocolate is good. They look great, especially with the mars bars pieces on top

21. Kankana says:

I seriously can’t wait to get my hand on your book. I bet it will be gorgeous like all your posts :) These cookies with dark chocolate …is just toooo good!

22. What a wonderful treat! My husband will flip over these, he LOVES Mars bars!

23. Shirley says:

I think your photos are always beautiful! But I can sympathize with you about the fun of baking being overtaken by the stress of making it look good or photographing it. You know, I don’t think I’ve ever tried a Mars bar before, but I love almost anything chocolate!

24. baker street says:

Holy moley! I could eat a dozen! LOVE mars and you added it to double chocolate cookies! That’s just crazy! A glass of milk and few cookies would just make my day! :)

25. Chocolate-caramel-salty goodness yes please. And by the way I’m not sure if I said congratulations on the book (I was out of the country for a few weeks this summer and am a little behind), such exciting news!!

They are giant and very bad for you – LOL but I will still eat them. Delicious photographs!

27. Meeta says:

I cannot believe I missed the announcement of your book! Congrats on that dear Anh! Wishing you all the very best!

I needed a lot of nibbles while getting my book together so I think this serves as the perfect pick-me-up! They look incredible!!

28. Gorgeous cookies! I’d love one or two right now with a cold glass of milk!

29. Allison Day says:

These sound absolutely delightful! And I just love the photography in this post – so moody.

30. I love a good cookie and these look amazing. My wife is a big fan of Mars Bars so I might have to try and make them for her one day.