Spanish style tortilla. Picnic days

Happiness is the first moment of spring, when the first peach blossom is spotted. The air is still cold but the thought of a sunny and warm weather is so promising.

Mr B. has been into hiking recently. A bit of research, and we actually found grassland in preserve in our local area. We He plans to explore that part, but I have been really nervous with the thought of strange insects and wild animals! Atlas, my idea of outdoor activities is a lot calmer and peaceful. A walk along the walking track, then a picnic lunch somewhere. I like the quietness and peacefulness it brings.

I remember my childhood excursion, which always involved a picnic lunch with my classmates. We would share whatever we brought and had a real party! If I got lucky, my father would made pressed rice (cơm nắm) with met floss and salt-sesame mixture (muối vừng) for me to bring. That option was always popular among kids! I felt so proud since other classmates mostly got sandwiches! (KIDS! :D)

Nowadays, I have also grown fancy with my picnic choices – sushi, mini cakes, salads and many other things. In fact I dreamed of picnic lunch days before the day. I goggled a lot for ideas, but normally ended up with the simplest thing. Like this tortilla recipe.

I actually love tortilla at room temperature, but of course they are delicious warm. I sort of combine technique of tortilla and frittata in one to get the golden topping easily. The advice is to poach the potato with plenty of olive oil with a bit of patience!

Spanish style tortilla with zucchini

Serving Size: 4

Spanish style tortilla with zucchini

Inspired by the beautiful book La Tartine Gourmande: Recipes for an Inspired Life

Ingredients

• * 3 medium potatoes
  • * 1 zucchini
  • * 1 onion
  • * 80ml-100ml extra virgin olive oil
  • * 8 fresh eggs
  • * 50g freshly grated parmesan,
  • * Salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Peel the potato and slice into 5cm thick. Slice the zucchini in similar fashion but a bit thicker (1cm). Peel and finely chop the onion.
  2. Preheat the oven to grill/broiler mode.
  3. In an oven-friendly sauce pan, heat up the olive oil. Add the onion, and cook, stir from time to time until fragrant and slightly soft. Add the potato and zucchini with 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
  4. Bring the heat to low, and gently poach the potato until nearly cooked, around 20 minutes. Stir from time to time, but avoid breaking the potato slices.
  5. Meanwhile, beat the eggs with some salt and pepper. Add the cheese and mix well.
  6. When the potatoes are just done, pour in the egg mixture. Turn the heat to medium and cook until the egg is just set. Put the saucepan under the grill until golden brown.
  7. Cool, and cut into wedges. Serve with a simple salad.

16 Responses to Spanish style tortilla. Picnic days

1. Jamie says:

I love picnics. When my husband wants to go out for a walk, he envisions long rough treks and I think of picnics! Tortilla, frittata, quiche are all excellent picnic food, delicious at room temperature!

2. Lisa H. says:

Oh Anh… Your tortilla reminded me of a friend whom I have lost touch …over 20 years.
    She would make me tortilla and proudly said ‘This is how we Spanish would have our tortilla’ :D

Gorgeous yummy photos :)

3. Rosa says:

Delicious and perfect for taking on a picnic.

Cheers,

Rosa

4. Nandita says:

This is so perfect for the outdoors Anh!! Loved the recipe and the first shot is simply awesome!! :)

5. Picnics are so fun! I cant wait until its a little warmer to have a gorgeous picnic in the park :) What a great recipe for transporting too. Love it!

6. Yuri says:

Hi, Anh.

What a beautiful picknic scene with your gorgeous spanish tortilla! I wish I could join with you:-)

7. LCOM says:

Oh, I love picnic, it’s great to spend time outdoor while enjoying homemade food. Your Spanish style tortilla looks scrumptious! :)

8. I’ve never been on a real picnic, namely because the boy thinks they’re overrated. I’m one of those girls who just wants to sit out, enjoy the sun, nibbling on food and enjoying the company of a loved one. There’s nothing wrong about that is there? haha. Your tortilla looks amazing. It’s making me hungryyyyyyy!

9. Perfect picnic food! It’s been a while since I planned a picnic. Hopefully soon :)

10. I can’t wait for spring. And to be honest I haven’t been on a picnic in ages! The tortilla looks lovely Anh…it travels well too. Yum!

11. Your tortilla looks amazing Anh! Now that the weather is getting warmer this is the type of thing I’d love on a picnic.

12. Andy says:

It’s gorgeous! I can’t wait until zucchini are back in season.. when it is I’m going to try this out

13. What a beautiful tortilla! My Basque brother-in-law makes an irresistible one, loaded with potatoes… have never seen zucchini in one before but you have surely inspired me to try it!

14. Shirley says:

What a beautiful tortilla! I also love picnics, there’s just something about eating outdoors and enjoying all the greenery.

15. Erika says:

YUM! I am planning a picnic for my boyfriend’s birthday and this looks like a perfect item for the basket!

Just discovered your blog from LoveFoodEat and I love it. Your photos are all so beautiful!

16. Amelia says:

Hi Anh, I like the picnic picture, excellent.