Happiness is the first moment of spring, when the first peach blossom is spotted. The air is still cold but the thought of a sunny and warm weather is so promising.
Mr B. has been into hiking recently. A bit of research, and we actually found grassland in preserve in our local area.
We He plans to explore that part, but I have been really nervous with the thought of strange insects and wild animals! Atlas, my idea of outdoor activities is a lot calmer and peaceful. A walk along the walking track, then a picnic lunch somewhere. I like the quietness and peacefulness it brings.
I remember my childhood excursion, which always involved a picnic lunch with my classmates. We would share whatever we brought and had a real party! If I got lucky, my father would made pressed rice (cơm nắm) with met floss and salt-sesame mixture (muối vừng) for me to bring. That option was always popular among kids! I felt so proud since other classmates mostly got sandwiches! (KIDS! )
Nowadays, I have also grown fancy with my picnic choices – sushi, mini cakes, salads and many other things. In fact I dreamed of picnic lunch days before the day. I goggled a lot for ideas, but normally ended up with the simplest thing. Like this tortilla recipe.
I actually love tortilla at room temperature, but of course they are delicious warm. I sort of combine technique of tortilla and frittata in one to get the golden topping easily. The advice is to poach the potato with plenty of olive oil with a bit of patience!
Inspired by the beautiful book La Tartine Gourmande: Recipes for an Inspired Life
- * 3 medium potatoes
- * 1 zucchini
- * 1 onion
- * 80ml-100ml extra virgin olive oil
- * 8 fresh eggs
- * 50g freshly grated parmesan,
- * Salt and pepper
- Peel the potato and slice into 5cm thick. Slice the zucchini in similar fashion but a bit thicker (1cm). Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Preheat the oven to grill/broiler mode.
- In an oven-friendly sauce pan, heat up the olive oil. Add the onion, and cook, stir from time to time until fragrant and slightly soft. Add the potato and zucchini with 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Bring the heat to low, and gently poach the potato until nearly cooked, around 20 minutes. Stir from time to time, but avoid breaking the potato slices.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs with some salt and pepper. Add the cheese and mix well.
- When the potatoes are just done, pour in the egg mixture. Turn the heat to medium and cook until the egg is just set. Put the saucepan under the grill until golden brown.
- Cool, and cut into wedges. Serve with a simple salad.