Summer & black sticky rice dessert with fresh mangoes

Oh summer, summer. While I cannot say I am in love with the intense heat on certain days, what summer is offering has just been a pure pleasure. We have spent a lot more time outside. Some days we cycle around our neighbourhood, discovering a lot of rabbits, a few cows and friendly sheep on the way. Other days, we travel to places with nice coffee and brunch. To be under the sun and warm weather has been absolutely fabulous…

Who wants to milk this cow? :)

And of course, the warm and pure light that only warmer months can give. Summer light has an amazing quality, which I adore…

You know the best thing? When I returned from a month in Europe, my garden was blooming. The gorgeous roses, lavenders! And not just my garden, there were so many flowers and plants full of life everywhere. Such a wonderful view to return to, and it certainly helped me cope with the my travel blue.

I also think one can’t complain about fresh cherries, stoned fruits, tomatoes and mangoes in summer. How lucky are we? I think I eat more mangoes now in Melbourne than I ever did in Hanoi. It is so tempting to buy the whole box of mangoes from the market when they look so fresh. My MIL certainly could not control herself and got us a whole box before Xmas. We just enjoy them au naturel or in smoothie with tahini, which is absolutely gorgeous.  Finding flights from Melbourne to Hanoi can be pretty easy, as well as booking Hanoi hotels when using Expedia.

Neil Perry has a better idea with mangoes though: pairing them with Asian-style black sticky rice pudding and coconut. I borrowed the idea, and the dessert was an instant hit. A marvellous way to chase away the heat and enjoy seasonal produce.

Black Sticky Rice Pudding with fresh mangoes

Ingredients

• 100g black sticky rice
  • 250ml coconut cream
  • About 100g castor sugar
  • Coconut sauce:
  • 250ml coconut cream
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp potato or corn starch
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1-2 fresh mangoes, to serve

Instructions

1. Wash the rice carefully then put into a saucepan.
  2. Add in enough water to cover the surface of the rice by 2.5 cm.
  3. Add half of the coconut cream. Boil, then, simmer for 30 mins or until the rice is as soft as you like. Now, add in the rest of the coconut cream, sugar and salt. Cool down and chill.
  4. Make the coconut sauce by mixing everything together. Heat the mixture slowly and stir constantly. Don´t boil the mixture but heat up enough to thicken the mixture. Cool.
  5. Peel and slice the mango cheeks.
  6. Serve the pudding with coconut sauce and fresh mangoes.

21 Responses to Summer & black sticky rice dessert with fresh mangoes

1. I’ve always regarded sticky rice as more of a warming thing, but this does look like a lovely summer dessert. And I approve of the mango love. ;)

2. Monique says:

We are in a deep freeze..how warming your beautiful photos:)

3. Rosa says:

A delightful dessert! That is something I really love (contrarily to the heat)…

Cheers,

Rosa

4. Black sticky rice with coconut and mango is my favourite…there is something so addictive about the nuttiness of the rice. Gorgeous!

5. Black sticky rice is intriguing! Anh, the pudding sounds exotic with coconut cream and mangoes, for a self-confessed mango lover like me..

6. Magda says:

Mmmm what a treat. I have never tried black sticky rice but I’m intrigued!
    Nice to see a post from you Ahn :)
    xoxo

7. Cindy says:

I love this combination too! Sometimes I have it for breakfast. :-)

8. I never had black sticky rice with coconut and mango Anh. It looks delicious. I love that is summer in your part of the world. Would I trade the heat for the bitter cold?! :)

9. I love the contrast of the colours! I sometimes find it hard to get sticky rice but thankfully the store near my place started stocking it. Must make this recipe. p.s. that cow is gorgeous :)

10. This is heavenly, Anh. Black sticky rice and mango is one of my favorite desserts – it’s so unique and I cannot get enough of it! Totally agreed about the mangoes in Australia, too. They are the best I have ever had.

11. Joanne says:

I love those 3 ingredients working together so beautifully.

12. Kankana says:

I want summer to fly by soon! I really shouldn’t say this staying in sunny CA but I am really tired of the cold.

13. Angie says:

Gorgeous photos Anh!
    Black sticky rice and mango sounds like a great combination, not sure why I havnt had it before.

14. Absolutely love sticky rice with mangoes. Never had it with black rice but I am very tempted to try.

15. oh I love mangoes! esp those dipped in nice creamy sauce like this.delicious! I usually like the black rice as a ‘porridge’-called bubur pulut hitam in malaysia. never tried it with mango, looks very innovative.

16. Joyti says:

Looks delicious! I will have to search out black sticky rice now :)

17. I have black rice but I think it must be different from what you use as it isn’t sticky when I have prepared it.

18. Wizzy says:

mango season will be here soon….saving this intriguing recipe

19. carrie says:

I have so may problems cooking my black rice. I dont know what the problem is because I soaked it overnight and when i cook it it’s still hard and not soft at all. Any suggestions?

20. Atika says:

I love black sticky rice but never eat it with mango. This look absolutely delightful and I can’t wait to try.

21. [...] 4. Sticky Black Rice Pudding with Mango [...]